Sunday, September 16, 2007

Othello part du

Act four has been a little confusing to me but what I understand so far is that Iago is planting the idea the Desdemona is cheating on him with Cassio. After a confusing argument between Othello and Desdemona Iago goes to Desdemona's room to plant ideas in her head that her husband is being unjust to her. Roderigo on the other hand seem to understand what Iago is trying to do and he tries to explain that Iago is wrong. In the third section of act four you can feel that Othello has something up his sleeve when he tell Desdemona to go to bed and dismiss her hand made. The song that she sings towards the end of the scene is a little creepy to me but talking of the wind blowing and changing really fits the story about her and Othello.

The final act, act five, to me is a very bloody scene. It started out with Roderigo stabbing at Cassio and Cassio ending up stabbing Roderigo and Iago stabbing Cassio. Then Iago stabs and kills Roderigo. To top that all off, Cassio dies from his wounds. Needless to say, allot of death in just the opening alone. Part two of act five is a creepy to me. Othello tells of why he hates his wife and she tries to tell him that she is innocent of all accusations that he is making; in the end he does stab her and kills her. Then Iago stabs and kills Emilia, is captured while running away, wounded by Othello, and finally Othello kills himself.
The story of Othello was a good story to me but, Because it was by Shakespeare, I kind of has the feeling that everyone important in the story would die in the end. Yes, I do believe this is a book that I should own, but personally it will be a book that I will buy much later in life.

No comments: